Sunday, September 15, 2019

Children Need Our Prayers


Children Need Our Prayers                 



     Every day—every single day—my parents prayed for me. Do you have any idea how comforting that is? If you have or had parents like that, then you know.



     I actually didn’t realize this until I was grown, but when I did, I was flooded with gratitude. That awareness triggered great feelings of love—love for them and the receiving of love from them. Only God knows of the bad things I escaped because of their prayer covering.



     During the last couple years of their lives, when dementia invaded their minds, it occurred to me that their daily petitions had probably ceased. Though saddened by that thought, I was confident their prayers still echoed in the heavens and were easily recalled by our Heavenly Father. 



Have you prayed for your children (and grandchildren) today?



Here are six reasons we should pray daily for the children in our lives:



1. It’s our responsibility. Most likely no one else on the planet will be praying for your child every day. If you’re a grandparent or concerned adult, although you may not have the responsibilities of parenting, you can still pray for the children you love. 



2. Jesus set the example in praying for children (Matt. 19:13). We have no greater example in all matters than the Lord, Himself.



3. We need to set an example for children. Our children need to know that prayer is important to us and that we pray for them daily. Our own example is our chief teaching tool as we instruct children in spiritual matters.


4. We want our children to understand their need for salvation and that Jesus is the only way.  Even young children can comprehend this at a level that makes sense to them. The Holy Spirit knows how to work in each young spirit and can guide us as we speak.

Growing up in an evangelical church, I knew at a young age, I needed salvation found only in Jesus. At age nine, I’d been pondering this for months. I remember mentally listing my sins. Then one Sunday I decided it was time. I walked forward and extended my hand to Pastor Rushing and gave my heart to Jesus.



5. There’s a war going on and the lives and souls of our children are the spoils. In the spiritual realm, warfare is taking place between God’s angels and Satan’s demons. Rest assured, Satan is real and wants our children. Jesus warned that he desires to “steal, kill, and destroy” anyone he can (John 10:10a). That includes you, me, and the children we love.

We can pray with confidence, knowing our Heavenly Father wants our children too. Jesus continued, “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10b NKJV). Our children need to know these things.



6. Pray for wisdom in parenting. The role as parent is our most important job. Doing it well pays great dividends. We’d be hard-pressed to be great parents without divine wisdom and intervention. Consistency is key and that takes effort. Help from above is necessary. 



Regarding His statutes, God spoke through Moses: You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates, that your days and the days of your children may be multiplied in the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers to give them, like the days of the heavens above the earth.” (Deut. 11:19-21 NKJV)





Parenting is a daily responsibility that requires daily invoking the help and power from our Creator. God loves our kids and wants the best for them. Only with God’s help can we do our very best to “train up a child in the way he should go” (Proverbs 22:6 NKJV). 


Internet Photo
















Here are seven important things to pray for our children:


1.  Pray that, at a young age, they will realize their need to have a relationship with Jesus and will believe in and receive Him as Savior and Lord. If your children are already older it’s not too late. Still pray they will accept this Great Salvation (Hebrews 2:3-4).


2.  Pray they will develop a keen sense of right and wrong, based on biblical principles and a Christian worldview. 


3.  Pray they will love God’s Word and yearn for its daily encouragement and instruction. 


4.  Pray they will hunger and thirst for righteousness which will be reflected in their behavior and their thought life. 


5.  Pray they will develop a strong prayer life that leads them into intimate fellowship with their Creator. 


6.  Pray they will be tuned in to the Holy Spirit’s voice leading them day by day. This will help them avoid such things as being unequally yoked in relationships, especially marriage (2 Corinthians 6:14).


7.  Pray God’s Word over your children. As you read and study your Bible, when you come across a passage you would desire for your kids, pray those words over them. Even speak it out loud, calling out their names to God. When I do this, I sometimes write the name of a certain child or grandchild next to the verse. 

SO—we need to pray! We need to pray big time—every day—for our children and for ourselves as parents—grandparents—mentors.  


I’ve seen the results of allowing children to figure out spiritual matters for themselves and it’s often not a pretty sight. When we sow to the wind, we may reap the whirlwind (Hosea 8:7a). It’s true that sometimes they find their way to God without parental involvement. Nonetheless, from what I’ve observed, the results of sewing to the wind regarding a child’s spiritual upbringing has reaped the whirlwind indeed.

Examples I’ve witnessed have reaped addiction, sexual promiscuity and confusion, prison, mental and emotional insecurities, animosity toward God and parents, spiritual confusion, and all manner of chaos.


So, let’s pray. Let’s pray every day for our children and grandchildren. Their eternal destiny may depend on it.  

What is your greatest prayer for the children in your life? Tell God, right now. Release it to Him and take heart in knowing He hears. Thank Him and worship Him because He loves, He knows, He cares, and He can work in ways that astound us. 


On my Facebook page, I post a scripture-based prayer for children every day. Each one is a good springboard for our appeal to God on behalf of the children in our lives. I’d be honored for you to check it out. See the prayers on Facebook at this link: https://www.facebook.com/ConnieWohlfordAuthor/.


©Connie Wohlford 2019


6 comments:

  1. Well said Ms. Connie. Our children/grandchildren or not; sometimes we adults can be used by God to sow positive reinforcement into the lives of other children also. We all have influence somewhere; and if we're willing, you just never know when God might use yours to help another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, J.D. There are a bunch of children in my life who are not in my family who I love on, encourage, and pray for on a regular basis. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for such a great reminder to pray. It is so easy to take for granted our need to pray for our children, no matter their age. I can't imagine never praying for my kids, future spouses, and grandchildren. Your reasons and ways to pray are great to remember for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true, Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by and for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE the idea of prayers echoing in the heavens, long after they've been prayed! Never thought about it that way, but it's a great image!! Thank you for these helpful tips - I've prayed for my kids daily for years and years, and I, too, can't imagine not doing so! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I had not thought about that either until I heard a preacher mention how the prayers of our ancestors, former preachers, and other believers echo through our Appalachian mountains to God's ears. God will never forget a single prayer of one of His children. I'm glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete