Thursday, April 16, 2015

I Promised You A Recipe!


I Promised You A Recipe!

As I described in my initial Blog on March 19, 2015, God’s Word – Our Destiny focuses primarily on God’s Word.  I also stated, “I’ll blog about LIFE. You know --- family, personal experiences, personal relationships, Bible, church, Bible study, travel, cooking, and so on.” After all the Word of God is an integral part of our lives.

SO--- I did indeed promise that I would occasionally include a recipe in my blog posts and since yesterday was TAX DAY, we should relax and think of something fun and yummy.  [I suppose that if you’re still scrambling to get your income tax return to Uncle Sam, you’ll not make muffins today, nor reading this post for that matter.  Bless your heart!  Let’s pause for a word of prayer for all the tardy tax tenders.]

But for those of you who are breathing a sigh of relief, with fingers crossed hoping you got it right and won’t be audited, let’s make some Blueberry Banana Muffins.  This is my very favorite muffin recipe and you should feel blessed that I’m willing to share it with you. 

I must tell you that as often as possible, I enjoy cooking with my grandchildren.  Now that they’re older, we don’t do it much because they’re busy with church activities, homework, sports, and such.  But when they were little--- really quite little--- we cooked together lots and lots.  I’ll throw in a photo here and there for proof. 

I not only want to show you how cute my grands are, I want to encourage you to cook with the children in your life.  Cooking with my grandchildren is one of the best things I’ve ever done to build relationship with each of them.   

 
This picture needs a caption, so let’s have a contest! Whoever comes up with the best caption wins a copy of my book, You’re A What?!, postage paid to anywhere in the continental U.S.
To enter the contest, simply write your caption in the “Comment” box below and specify, “Caption,” (so we'll know it's not a comment).  There will be 1 winner selected by my capable team.




 Here's the prize!
   
 

                        

 

 
    
  Now for the yummy stuff … 

Blueberry Banana Muffins
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
¼ cup buttermilk*  
2 eggs                                   
1 tsp. vanilla                       
4 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup butter, softened 
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1 cup plain flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (thawed)

 
Have all ingredients at room temperature. This helps your muffins to have good volume.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In large mixer bowl, combine sugar, butter, buttermilk, eggs & vanilla.  Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.   Add bananas and continue beating until well mixed.  Add flours, baking soda and salt.  Beat at low speed until moistened.  Do not over-mix!
By hand, stir in blueberries. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick, inserted in center, comes out clean.  Remove from pan & cool. Yield 20 medium muffins.
Option – For loaf bread, bake in a greased and floured 9x13 baking pan for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

*Many people don’t keep buttermilk on hand or prefer not to buy a quart when all they need is ¼ cup.  So--- Make your own! – For ¼ cup buttermilk, as called for in this recipe, put 2 tsp. vinegar in a measuring cup and add milk up to the ¼ cup mark.  Let that stand for about 5 minutes and use this in place of buttermilk.  My mother taught me this trick when I was a teenager and I’ve used it many times in many different recipes.
 
Enjoying their Banana Blueberry Muffins
 
We told our little guy in this photo that the muffins already had jelly in them since he won't touch a berry of any variety. It worked!
 
Okay, so these are Chocolate Cupcakes  --  close enough--- Right?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment