Sunday, November 8, 2020

Covenant Yields Inheritance Yields Calling (1)

 

Covenant Yields Inheritance Yields Calling (1) - Covenant Part 3 of 4

Are you aware that there’s a calling on your life? If not, I hope this post will encourage you to consider it. And if you are aware, I hope it will inspire you to stay on track. 

As for me, for many years I was unaware that I was called to teach. But from childhood, I had a passion to teach. As a little girl I would line up my dolls and stuffed animals in my make-shift classroom and teach them. I don’t remember what I taught but I was certainly their teacher.

At age twelve, I taught swimming lessons at our city pool. I loved it and the pool manager loved it because since I was too young to be certified, he didn’t have to pay me. I would teach the children according to the Red Cross regulations and administer the swim test at the end of the week. A certified swim instructor would then sigh their Red Cross Swim Certificates. As soon as I was eligible, at age sixteen, I got my lifeguard credentials and worked as a lifeguard off and on through college.

Throughout my youth my passion was to be a teacher, though I didn’t recognize it as God’s calling until many years later. Eventually I became a teacher in public schools. In addition, I taught children and adults at church, lead Bible studies, and even cooking classes for adults and young children. I also wrote curriculum for secular and biblical education. To this day I love teaching and writing Bible oriented study material.

I now know that God has called me to be a teacher and to write for Him. It was He who put that desire in my heart. Because I’m in covenant relationship with Him, He has guided me along the way to walk in this calling according to His plan for me. It’s a large part of who He created me to be. Had I not been in relationship with Him, I would probably have still been a teacher but likely not have been as effective in loving and impacting my middle school students.

Occasionally, a former student tells me he or she appreciates something I taught them in my middle school Teen Living (home economics) class. When this happens, I’m overjoyed and grateful.

About a year ago a former student and I began following each other on Instagram. Through sharing life via this social media, I have learned that he is a police officer and, on the side, is also a preacher and a caterer, specializing in barbeque. A couple of weeks ago I made a comment on his post about the great looking BBQ meal he had prepared for a wedding reception. My comment was, “Yum!”

His kind response back to me brought tears to my eyes. He said, “I learned some things back in the day. Thank you for a positive impact on my life.”

If my impact on his life has had anything at all to do with what he is doing with his life today, then I’m overwhelmed with praises to God.

When we walk in our God ordained calling only God knows the extent of the impact our lives will have on others. And some of those influences are of eternal consequence.    

When does it happen that God declares a calling on a person’s life?

A beautiful psalm of David gives insight into that. In Psalm 139 he extols the glorious creation of a human being, declaring that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (verse 14). He goes on to say, “Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them. How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them” (Psalm 139:16-17 NKJV*).

Photo by Connie Wohlford

Let’s look back at covenant, from my post of October 26, 2020. I shared Chuck Pierce’s definition: “an endless partnership or solemn and binding agreement between two or more parties. 

Covenant with God provides a commitment to a relationship that allows His purpose for us to be fulfilled.” ** 

Then in my post of November 1, 2020, I pointed out that when we enter into covenant with God, we’re bequeathed an eternal inheritance. One facet of our inheritance is the plan and purpose He ordains for each of us. Within that is our calling. And as we walk out our calling we step through the door that leads to the abundant life God desires to give each of us.

Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10b). Notice He said, “may have.” He did not say “will have.”

One who does not follow the leading of God and answer His call will not realize their highest potential nor live out the best life God wanted for them. That doesn’t mean they cannot have a good life. It means they will not have the best life in the fullest of abundance that God planned for them.

So, what is your passion? Perhaps the thing you love to do was placed inside you by your Creator.

What is it that strikes a chord in your spirit and releases a yearning to do, or help, or accomplish something?

We can be assured that God’s desire and plan is that we use our giftings and passions to glorify Him and to achieve our part in the building of His kingdom. This does not necessarily just happen. Circumstances don’t automatically fall into place. We need open to our spiritual eyes and seek God for the answers to our questions about our calling—His plan. 

It is amazing—supernatural—how our Heavenly Father loves us so much He wants a covenant relationship with each of us. After all, we’re each created in His own image. (Genesis 1:27) And interwoven into that eternal covenant He incorporates an individualized inheritance which contains a multifaceted plan and purpose—a calling.

Let’s pray: Father, how amazing that You are so concerned for my well-being that You plan out a wonderful abundant life for me! Thank You, Lord. Please help me to lean into that calling with everything that is in me. Show me, with clarity, what you desire for me to do and be, and help me to have the courage, strength, and will to walk in it daily. I will leave the outcomes to You. For I know that will be good. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

 

* All Scripture quotes are taken from the New King James Version of the Bible.

**Possessing Your Inheritance, by Chuck D. Pierce and Rebecca Wagner Sytsema; Chosen Books, Baker Publishing Group, Minneapolis, Minnesota; 2009; page 119.

©Copyright 2020 Connie Wohlford

2 comments:

  1. Amen Ms. Connie. We may never know all the lives we impacted in this life ma'am; and I pray that we'll see a hundredfold increase of people whose lives we impacted for God in heaven one day. Our job is to plan the seeds ma'am, but it's God who prepares the soil of someone's soul and it is God who brings the harvest. Thank you for your willingness to follow His calling in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right J. D. and it's a relief to know that the results are His and not ours. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete