Monday, August 24, 2020

The Power of Fullness

 The Power of Fullness                                       

Have you ever said, “My heart is full,” or “My cup runneth over”? At times in life when an experience or event pleases me immensely, I have felt this way and have said those words.

For example, when I first held each of my newborn sons and then years later each of my grandchildren, the feelings of joy and completeness overflowed. More importantly, when our two sons and eight grandchildren each received Jesus as Savior and Lord and was baptized, my heart was full.

These life experiences fill our hearts and complete something in our lives. The Bible speaks of fullness on several occasions, meaning to be filled to satisfaction or brought to completion. Strong’s defines fullness as “what fills (as contents, supplement, copiousness, multitude), or what is filled (as container, performance) … fulfilling …” * 

By Robin Lambert (Instagram) - used with permission

Psalm 24:1-2 tells us, “The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, the world and those who dwell therein. For He has founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the waters” (NKJV). 

How encouraging it is to know that God owns the earth and all that’s in it. 

Though the nations rage and Satan appears to be having his way on many fronts, ultimately God will have His way. In the end, we who are in Christ will come out winners. 


On God’s calendar:

In the fullness of time He laid the foundations of the earth. (Psalm 102:25)

In the fullness of time God established His own people through Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

In the fullness of time Father God brought forth His own Son through the virgin, Mary, and named Him Jesus, (Yeshua in Hebrew).

In the fullness of time Jesus paid the sin debt of all Mankind, dying on a cross.

In the fullness of time God rose Jesus back to life from the dead, completing the way for those who put faith in Him to have eternal life.

In the fullness of time Jesus will return, God will set up His Eternal Kingdom and all wrongs will made right.

I believe that my favorite Bible uses of the word fullness are found in Paul’s letter to the fledgling church in Colossae when he spoke of Jesus. His description of Jesus helps reinforce our reasons to trust Him.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on the earth, visible and invisible. Whether thrones or dominions or principalities of powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist (that is, hold together**).

“And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have preeminence.

“For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross” (Colossians 1:15-20 NKJV).

Now, that’s enough to make me want to shout! Unless you’re pressed for time, I suggest you read that passage again—this time out loud, standing up.

And there’s more. Let’s move into the next chapter for a nugget that can knock our socks off when we soak it in and believe in depths of our being that it’s true.

“For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principalities and power” (Colossians 2:9-10 NKJV).

Jesus Christ is the fullness of God in bodily form. When we are born-again believers in Him, He is in us by way of the Holy Spirit. That means we are complete in Him who has authority over all other powers that may exist.

The fullness of God is full in us. No, we are not equal with God by any means. But we have access to our Creator through our Savior, Jesus. He is in our very breath. We have power over sin, power to stand on truth, and power to walk in the character of Jesus Himself.

Therefore, let us know our God and know our Savior. Let us meditate on and study God’s Word, the Bible, so we can understand who we are in His fullness and be able to withstand the attacks of evil forces and stand firm in truth—that is, God’s truth. (Ephesians 6:12-13)

Let’s pray: Father, thank You for sending Jesus to rescue me from evils of life and fears of death. Thank You that in Him Your own fullness dwells. Help me to allow the fullness of Jesus to shine in my own life and to fill me with all I need to be who You created me to be. In Jesus name I pray—amen.

*Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance, by James Strong; Crusade Bible Publishers, Inc.,, Nashville, TN, 1890; Greek Dictionary, p. 58.

**my insert

©Copyright 2020 Connie Wohlford

7 comments:

  1. Connie this post was FULL of God confidence. Thank you for these rich reminders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marilyn. I need reminders often!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this reassurance of God's fullness and our blessing to be encompassed in that fullness. He fills those empty places within us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Thank you for reminding us that this world is not our home and we are merely marking time, by learning His ways and preparing for His eternal service, until the day. Having the confidence that I am His allows me to face each day, for my hope is in the coming day when we shall be together in glory with our Lord. Loved this post! Thank you for such an inspiring message. Be full in the Lord my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, my friend! That hope He puts in us truly helps us get through and even overcome in these days we are living in. We certainly have a lot to look forward to.
      I'm glad you "loved this post." Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  4. Love this, Connie. I too have loved those words, In the fullness of time. They are the definition of hope. I also appreciate your words:
    :Though the nations rage and Satan appears to be having his way on many fronts, ultimately God will have His way. In the end, we who are in Christ will come out winners. "
    My heart and mind have been in the same place...looking at all that is going on in the world and though it appears overwhelming and that the enemy is winning, I know different.

    ReplyDelete